Saturday, December 1, 2012

Experimentation



As I've written, my first pass at my Cygnar was using a green and blue scheme that I hadn't fully thought through.  I didn't have a clear picture in my head of what I was working towards.  Sometimes that works out, but it's not much of a way to run a railroad, and sometimes it ends badly, as it did with my Lancer.  That guy sent me back to the drawing board.  What I've come back with is this Hunter.






The mould line across its carapace is obviously not so good, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with how he turned out.  The mix of bronze and grey on the weapons and steamwork is something that came out quite nicely and I like the mixture of buff and turqoise on the armour. 

The biggest lessons learned here are that the turquoise looks too good to be an entirely secondary colour, so I'm going to shift the balance between the two on different models.  Some will be buff-heavy like this guy, others will have more turqoise.

The other thing that needs improvement is that the gradient size across the buff isn't big enough.  I think I'm going to start with an overall basecoat of a darker yellow, possibly just this buff with a bit of brown mixed in, which I'll just leave in deep recesses.  The overall tone is fine, it just needs more depth.

Overall, quite happy with how he's turned out.  Looking forward to getting going with this on the rest of the shiny silver Cygnar on my shelf.

Here's a comparison shot of the new scheme with the first pass.  The Lancer is going to be stripped and repainted as soon as I decide on the lowest-impact way to manage it.  Stryker is okay in his green scheme, I doubt I'm going to want to use him much anyway so I'm not too worried about repainting him.


No comments:

Post a Comment