Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Skorne

I knew that I wanted a Hordes army, but I really didn't know which one.  It was very conflicting.

There's alot about Legion I like, but a lot I don't.  I'm not sure about their playstyle and I suspect painting them would get repetitive.

Trolls never really appealed to me much.

Circle did.  They have an interesting design, a challenging play style, they're very different from the other factions I've played, and they look like they'd be fun to paint.  I went so far as to buy a Druid Wilder and start painting it.  Unfortunately I want to do them in a style that their design doesn't really support, and I have concerns about how their play style would work for me.  Reluctantly, I shelved them.

Skorne has always pulled at me, though, but in a contradicting way.  I loved the design of the titans, but I hated the infantry.  I didn't like how the studio models were painted and so I assumed I couldn't do anything interesting with them.  And I had misgivings about their style of play.

In the end I bit the bullet, bought eHexeris and a Titan Sentry, and decided to jump in and see what happens.

Man, am I glad I did.


I'm calling this scheme "Centauri Imperial", for obvious reasons.  It's a very different colour scheme than the Studio one, or any one that I've seen online.  I love how they look and they're unbelievably fun to paint.  The only downside is that everything I had on the go was put on ice until I ran out of Skorne models to paint.





eHexeris is a fun guy.  I like his playstyle and it's a great miniature.  This was the first one, and just about everything about him was an experiment.  I had a picture in my head of what I wanted and I knew that I would have to figure out three or more techniques and approaches that I'd never really done before in order to make it work, and they all came out exactly the way I wanted.






The Titan Sentry was the product of a few requirements.  First, I love the model.  This is one of the old metal ones and I think it's a great sculpt.  It also works well with eHexeris because you can use him as the bonded beast, and have an arc node who is hellishly hard to take down.

One of his small arms is just a blade grafted onto a stump.  I got tired of trying to glue on the actual hand/blade piece and decided to improvise.

I wasn't as happy with how the white bits turned out on this one but I learned a lot and the end result is quite acceptable.

I have more Skorne on order and I can't wait to get my hands on them.


No comments:

Post a Comment